Thursday 29 October 2009

What's on your 'to do' list?




I am the queen of 'to do' lists. The comfort they bring me is immeasurable.

All too often I look at my 'to do' list and wonder just how it came to have so much on it. The ancient art of saying 'NO' needs to be refined in me.

Lists rule my life and I regularly find myself making two lists, a 'to do' list and shopping list. Sadly I then find myself in the supermarket proudly sporting my 'to do' list and not my shopping list (there is a downside in being reliant on lists!)

I am ashamed that God's name doesn't appear very often on my 'to do' list. My first thought should be "what would God want on my list for the day?"

Should it be something like write a note to thank Mary for the help she gave me the other day, or call George to check how he is feeling, or stick my head round the office door and give everyone a big smile OR even sit down and spend a little time with ME (God) today?

Cos the truth of the matter is there should be nothing on our 'to do' list that we haven't consulted God about first and without sitting down and spending time with him that isn't going to happpen. Jesus only did what he saw His father doing, how can I see what my Father in heaven is doing and join in if I am drowning in 'to do' lists?

This week I have been challenged to go on some walks with God, I have to do this for a whole month and I am really excited it. I have put them in my diary, just like I put time with my family and work appointments I have 'walk with God' written in my diary.

Hang the 'to do' list, the only thing I want 'to do' is spend time with God.

So what's on your 'to do' list and how much of it can wait until you have hung out with your heavenly Father the most important and pressing thing on your list?









1 comment:

  1. ummm, challenging! You should write thought for the day! xxx

    ReplyDelete