Thursday 22 October 2009

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up!


I love the 'Secret Millionaire' programmes on Channel 4, people putting themselves out to find out about others who aren't as fortunate as them and generously help them out; often finding that this experience totally changes their own lives as well as those they aim to help with their money.
Last night's programme was a revisit to a show earlier in the year, deliberately looking at how much the millionaire's life had been changed by the experience. One of the places he visited and subsequently helped was a homeless shelter, Vincent House, in Blackpool where some of the money he gave went towards starter packs for the homeless for when they eventually found somewhere to live. He couldn't believe that the simpleness of these packs which contained bedding, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery etc, could have such a profound impact on someones life. It makes me really think, just how much or little do we have to do to make a difference to someone's life?
In the back of one of the shots taken in Vincent House was this sign, pinned to the wall "Do not look down on anyone unless you are helping them up". It stayed with me all night and I woke this morning with it still rattling round in my head. How easy is that to do? Jesus says that to us so many times, in so many ways. How much notice do we take of it?
The people at Vincent House were angels, going out of their way to make these peoples lives just that little bit better. The lady said "We can't change all of their lives, but sometimes a hot meal and a chat is all they need". This is so true and so easy to do. Just these last two weeks at Toddler Group I have had some very moving chats with some parents who are sad, worried and scared about a wide range of things. All of which, sharing them with someone, has made them feel better about. I even had the privilege to pray with two of them, which moved them both to tears, a welcome release of their stress. I all needed to do was sit down with a cup of tea and say 'Hi, how are you?' Jesus did the rest.
I urge you today, to have a good look around you; because there will be someone you bump into today who is hurting for one reason or another. Make your mission for the day 'what can I put into today, rather than what can I get out of today', have a cuppa with someone, spare them 10 minutes of your time, it could change your life too! Because Jesus says 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me!'
May God bless you all x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment