Friday 1 October 2010

Memories are made of this!


Sitting on a friend’s sofa with her the other day, as she rocked her little one to sleep, she began to sing a children’s song that I haven’t hear for such a long time. Immediately I was taken back to the time I last heard it when I was a small child.

“We went to the animal fair, the birds and the beasts were there.
By the light of the moon a big baboon was combing his auburn hair.
The monkey fell out of his bunk and slid down the elephant’s trunk.
The elephant sneezed and fell to his knees,
and what became of the monkey, monkey?”

In that moment I was 8 years old again, sitting in the back of our family car singing the song, in the round, with my parents, brother and sister. It was so wonderful listening to her singing that song, such an unexpected moment of lovely warm memories.

That experience started me thinking about just how many songs remind me of life experiences, people and places.

· Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) and I am sitting under the Christmas tree, December 1975 in my parents lounge in the dark, looking up at the coloured patterns on the ceiling made by the fairy lights on the tree.

· Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton) and I am dancing with my wonderful new husband at our wedding in 1993.

· She’s always a woman (Billy Joel) and I immediately think of Alice, my youngest daughter.

· Three times a lady (Commodores) my first school disco!
There are many things that trigger memories, both happy and sad: songs, smells, food, sounds. Remember, as you sing a song to your small person, cook them their favourite meal or inflict them with your favourite CD in the car; that you are nurturing the very same memories for them that you and I find ourselves enjoying. Invest in memories, create memories, enjoy memories. Get out those old vinyl records, make your favourite food, take a look at some old photos – spend some time with your memories. Memories are precious – indulge yourself and enjoy them.

May God bless you in your memories x x x x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

No comments:

Post a Comment