Friday 8 October 2010

SMILE :-)


Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. Mother Teresa

I like to think of myself a generally happy person, I don’t like being sad. Though I am sure none of us do! I don’t like seeing other people sad either. Learning, through experience, that I cannot always make them feel better (only God can do that), I can help by smiling at them, by being encouraging, telling them how wonderful they are, how special they are to me and how loved they are by God. I love putting a smile on people’s faces – sometimes it’s the only time in a day when they are told that they are appreciated and loved – and it is such an honour to be able to do that.

When faced with a negative or tough situation in life I like to fight against it, trying my best to think of all the good things and blessings I have in my life that totally counteract any bad thing that may be happening. I am not superwoman and admit there are many times when it is hard to do, but I always try; to not do so in my mind is giving in to the lies of the enemy who would have us living under a cloud all the time if he could. Life is rubbish too often. Sadly we live in a broken world where sickness, disappointment, disaster, fear and loss are apt to affect us on a regular basis. The temptation to wallow in bad situations is all too easy.

Have you heard the expression “smile and the whole world smiles with you”? It is so true. Even in tough times, taking a moment to smile at someone, putting aside your own selfish needs and wants in order to make someone else feel good, not only helps them but is medicine for your soul too. With a positive mental attitude and a smile on our faces we can challenge the way the world thinks and feels.

So, even if your world is falling apart at the moment, I challenge you to count your blessings, think of all the amazing things that have happened in your lives (don’t allow the bad stuff to erase the good from your thoughts), and then I challenge you to make others smile – all you have to do is smile at them.

‘May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favour and give you his peace.’ Numbers 6 v 24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment