Friday 27 August 2010

Walking in High Heels!


Point your kids in the right direction — when they're old they won't be lost. Proverbs 22:6 (The Message)

We have been invited to a wedding in October and this week went shopping for outfits. My two girls and I had a wonderful time in every clothes shop in the Harlequin Centre in Watford, trying on almost everything.

In the changing rooms in River Island I was met with emotion that totally took me by surprise. Molly my 15 (and a half) year old tried on a red dress that I had chosen for her. As she stepped out of the changing room I burst into tears! There standing in front of me was a 5’7” woman looking absolutely stunning with a perfect hour glass figure in the most amazing red dress – what I had sent into the changing room was my little girl, what came out looked very much like that lady in the Special K advert, yet miles more beautiful! Alice giggled at me and said “Mum, it’s not her wedding dress!” But there was no stopping my tears of pride and my heart breaking at the same time.

It’s incredible how quickly children grow. Only yesterday they were in nappies and the next minute they are teenagers. They are so capable and independent that it’s easy to forget that they haven’t mastered everything.

It seems as soon as our children learn to walk and talk we assume that they are able to do a lot more than they actually can. As I have watched Molly in the last few days looking like Bambi as she learns how to walk in her first pair of high heels shoes, that go with this new dress; I know that she still needs my help. “Mum, do you put your toes down first or your heels?”

As children grow there will be many times when they reject your help even though they need it. That’s alright, it’s just another way of learning. The biggest challenge for us as parents is to avoid saying “I told you so”. When in doubt about what they know, put yourself in their place. It has taken us years of practice to master what works and doesn’t and still there are many times when we stumble. Be patient and guide them gently in the right direction, allowing them to learn from their own mistakes. Marvel at how they are growing. Remember that they are finding their way.

Father God, thank you for our children, for the privilege and fun it is raising them for you. Lord I ask you to bless us and guide us in how to best look after them. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sally! God bless you and your beautiful kids! I have just followed your blog.

    - Tine

    http://tinedoctor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete